May 1st Sunday - Mayday for Mutts
The first Sunday of each May has been declared Mayday for Mutts day. This nationwide event was established to promote the adoption of mixed-breed and special needs dogs. During the month of May, humane organizations, pet-related businesses, and individual dog lovers will be holding mutt-related activities and distributing literature to celebrate this long-awaited event.
May 1st Week - Puppy Mill Action Week
Check out this list of 10 things you can do to help stop puppy mills:
- Get an Education: Whether you're thinking about getting a dog, want to educate others about puppy mills or just want to learn more, check out more information on puppy mills and puppy buying at Stop Puppy Mills.
- Stop Puppy Mills on Your Website: Start educating visitors about the dangers of puppy mills and pet stores on your website, MySpace page, Facebook page or blog.
- Assist With Ads: Help The HSUS place “Stop Puppy Mill” ads in national magazines and on billboards in communities around the country.
- Get the Kit: The Advocates Kit has everything you’ll need to start spreading the word about puppy mills in your community, including printed materials, letter templates, tips for developing legislation and activity ideas.
- Forward to a Friend: Know someone who is thinking about bringing a puppy into their family? Send them a message with a link to this page so they can read puppy buying tips and learn more about puppy mills.
- Lobby for Better Laws: Contact your federal and state legislators and let them know that you’re concerned about the inhumane treatment of dogs in puppy mills and want the puppy mill issue to be a priority for congress. Ask them to expand the reach of the Animal Welfare Act to include kennels that sell large numbers of puppies directly to the public and to ban the imports of puppies for resale.
- Speak Up: Writing a letter to the editor of your local newspaper is a great way to get the word out about puppy mills in your community.
- Furnish Your Vet With Flyers: Supply your vet or groomer’s office with informational flyers on “How to Buy a Puppy” and “How to Find a Good Dog Breeder” designed to help potential pet owners avoid puppy mills.
- Donate: Help The HSUS in the ongoing campaign to stop puppy mills. Make a donation today.
May 1 - Mother Goose Day
Take time to reacquaint yourself with favorite nursery rhymes, offer love and whimsy to the children in our lives, and reach out to children around the world.
Mother Goose Day was founded in 1987 by Gloria T. Delamar in tandem with the publication of her book, Mother Goose; From Nursery to Literature.
Learn more about Mother Goose at the The Official Home of the Mother Goose Society.
May 1 - Save a Rhino Day
The rhinoceros is between 35-65 million years old. They used to live in North America, but are now found only in Asia/Africa, and zoos.
They have poor eyesight, but a sharp sese of hearing and smell. They can run up to 35mph. Their diet is made up of bulbs, grass, and leaves, and they use their horns to help gather food. These horns grow about an inch a year and are more valuable than gold, selling for $30,000 a pound.
Visit SOS Rhino to learn more about the rhino and see how you can help.